Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Irish Soda Bread Just in time for St Patrick's Day!


My family loves soda bread and I make it every ST. Patrick’s Day.  The following recipe was given to me by Mother-in-law which she inherited while living in Inishbofin, Co Galway Ireland.  This was their every day bread recipe but as she tells me, “you make fancy bread with raisins or currants when company is coming”.
It is wonderfully delicious topped with butter and orange marmalade or just by itself.  Sláinte!




Irish Soda Bread 
Irish Soda Bread

3 cups Whole wheat flour
2 cups White flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 tsp Salt
3 tsp sugar
2 cups Buttermilk 
1 cup Raisins (if desired)



Preparation:
Mix flours, salt, sugar and baking soda thoroughly.  Gradually mix in the liquid and stir. Depending on the flour, you may need more or less buttermilk.  Add raisins if desired. The dough should be soft but controllable. Knead the dough into a ball with your hands floured. Put on a lightly floured baking sheet and flatten out in a circle 2” thick.

With a wet knife, make a cross through the center of the bread so that it will easily break into quarters when it is baked. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes; reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake a further 15 minutes. Wrap the bread in a damp dish towel and let cool.



6 comments:

  1. My kids love this too...why do i only make it on St. Patricks Day?! Than you for sharing this recipe. I also just used your side joined Catholics on line...I never heard of this and want to be a part of it! so thank you agin!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I have a blog party every Monday that I would love for you to link up at. You can link up to 3 posts. It will open on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking recipe! My mom's side of the family is Irish, my grandparents moved to America right before my mother was born. I love your site! Thanks for following my site, I am happy to follow you back :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks Yummy! I can't believe in my 30 years I have never tried Irish Soda Bread. This looks simple enough I think I'll give it a try tomorow. Thanks for sharing.
    Laundry Care

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for a good Irish soda bread recipe! Thanks. I'm your newest follower from the blog hop weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. stopping by from crafts-things
    http://www.crafts-things.com/

    ReplyDelete